What are Prickly Pear Cactus Pads?
These are a species of domesticated Cactus with thick, succulent pads. Both the plant and its fruit are edible and completely safe for a wide variety of reptile species.
The benefits of Prickly Pear Cactus Pads
Providing your reptiles with a high quality, natural diet is hugely beneficial. These pads can be used in a number of ways to provide both nutrition and enrichment.
- Suitable for herbivores such as Tortoises, Iguanas and Uromastyx and omnivores such as Bearded Dragons, Skinks and Tegus.
- Naturally high moisture content, aiding hydration.
- High in dietary fibre, Calcium and antioxidants, low in fat and phosphorus.
- Vitamin and mineral dense, including vitamin A, B, C, Calcium, Potassium and Iron. All essential for optimum cellular enzymatic and metabolic functions.
- The mucilaginous content in the pads can gently aid in the smooth passage of digested foods through the gut.
- Provides natural environmental enrichment by encouraging natural foraging behaviour.
- Long lasting, when left uncut the pads will remain in good edible condition for weeks/months.
How to use Prickly Pear Cactus Pads
There are several ways this product can be used.
- Carefully remove any of the remaining spines from the surface of the pad. Most will have been removed, but some may remain so please handle with care.
- The pads can be cut into small bite sized pieces and placed into the enclosure. For larger reptiles, whole pads can be offered.
- Can be placed in a pot or grown in the soil within the enclosure. Suitable as both a live food source and as natural decor.
Do your research
Before you commit to buying any pet, please do your own independent research.